Read the article below about how to eat less, naturally. Then answer the comprehension questions and IELTS practice essay question at the bottom of the page.
7 WAYS TO CURB YOUR APPETITE
Summer means indulgence for many people, especially when it comes to food. There are more parties and free time, so people have more chances to eat their favorite foods. All this makes summer more fun, but it can also mean weight gain for some people. There is nothing wrong with gaining weight, unless you don’t want to!
If you want to eat a little less at your next party, try these strategies.
1. Eat chicken breast!
Chicken breast is lean white meat, which will help you to feel full. Also, try eating a chicken breast half for breakfast. Studies show that eating an ounceof protein in the morning will reduce your appetiteall day.
2. Eat your vegetables!
Vegetables take up space in your stomach. This will help you to feel full longer. Add some chicken breast or lean beef to your vegetables, if you can. This will help you to feel full for hours.
3. Try B12
Vitamin B12 reduces your appetite naturally, about 12 hours after you take it. Think about when you are most hungry. Then take vitamin B12 twelve hours before that. Remember to ask your doctor if it’s alright for you to take B12!
4. Say “I don’t” instead of “I can’t.”
Saying “I can’t” makes you feel like you are victim. Instead, remind yourself that you are in control. If someone offers you food that you crave, but don’t need, say “I don’t eat that, thanks!”
Here are more ways to say I don’t.
- I don’t eat a lot of sweets, but thank you.
- Thank you, but I don’t eat chips.
- I don’t really eat cake, but thanks.
- Thanks, but I don’t usually eat that.
- No thank you. I don’t usually have dessert.
- Thank you, but I don’t eat ice cream.
5. Use hot sauce.
Hot sauce and pepper contain capsaicin. Capsaicin is reduces your appetite and helps you to feel full faster.
6. Stay away from artificial sweeteners.
Diet foods often contain artificialsweeteners like Nutrasweet or Splenda. These sweeteners increase your appetite and make you want to eat more! Insteaddrink a cup of green tea or peppermint tea.
7. Have some lemon.
Add lemon juice to your salad or soup. Or, make yourself a drink of hot water squeezed with lemon, after dinner. This will help with digestion. The sournessof the lemon will also make you want to eat less!
Try these strategies to reduce your appetite today!
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
1. What is meant by “free time”?
2. What is one way to help you to feel full?
3. If you feel hungry at 10 o’clock at night, what time should you take B12?
4. What is the difference between “I don’t” and “I can’t”?
5. How does pepper reduce appetite?
6. Why is Nutrasweet bad for you?
7. What is it about lemon that reduces appetite?
IELTS ESSAY PRACTICE
You should spend about 40 minutes on this task.
Write about the following topic:
Media programs and advertisements often send a message that being thin is better than being overweight. What are some ways that this message is conveyed? To what extent do you agree with this message?
Write at least 250 words.