The True Horror Story of Aimee Copeland
A person’s life can change from one small event. Have you heard of Aimee Copeland?
Aimee is an American who contracted necrotizing fasciitis. This is flesh eating disease. With flesh eating disease, bacteria destroy the skin and muscle on a person’s body. These bacteria ate a part of Aimee’s leg. This disease is scary. It is also painful, and some people die from it. How did this happen to AImee?
Aimee was ziplining near a river when she fell into the water. The bacteria in the water entered her leg through the cut. Amy contracted this terrible infection that destroyed part of her leg and some fingers.
This disease is very rare. Only a few people get it in 50 years. Sadly for Aimee, doctors will have to cut off her right leg and some of her fingers. However, Aimee and her family are very happy that she is still alive. Her life seems like a horror story, but she can still decide to live a full life.
Can this happen to you? If you protect yourself, you can limit your chances to get it.
Here is how to protect yourself:
2. Clean your cut well, and make sure your cut gets some air.
3. If you have this infection, go to the doctor right away to get medicine.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
1. What is the medical name for flesh eating disease?
2. What happens to people who get this disease?
3. What parts of Aimee’s body were hurt from flesh eating disease?
4. What will happen to Aimee at the hospital?
5. Why is Aimee’s family still happy?
6. What is one thing you can to to stay away from flesh eating disease?
7. What is meant by “right away”?