Russian Automaker builds 27 million cars!
What do you think of, when you think of Russia? Many people think of snow or fur hats. Some people think of borscht, or beet soup. Most people don’t think of cars when they think of Russia. A Russian automaker may change all that!
The automaker AvtoVAZ made its 27 millionth car some time ago. It is the La Priora hatchback, and costs around 9,000 euros. That is about 11,000 USD. AvtoVAZ is Russia’s largest automaker. They started making the La Prioria hatchbacks in 2007.
With the coming of capitalism, there has been many changes in Russian life in the past many years. Russian people are more affluent now. This means they have more money and more things. There are more luxury goods like cars. There is more money in the hands of the people.
These changes allow people to build businesses and create jobs. This helps to raise the standard of living for Russian society. Russian people are ready to enjoy the benefits of these changes. They are slowly moving to a higher standard of living.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
1. Why do you think Russia reminds some people of snow and fur?
2. What is a Russian soup that is made from beets?
3. How many La Prioria Hatchbacks could you buy with $30,000? How much would you have left?
4. What kind of economy did Russia have before?
5. What are some good changes that have come with capitalism? Does the article mention any negative changes?
6. Why are people able to buy more things now?
7. What is meant by “standard of living”?
IELTS ESSAY PRACTICE
Technolgy is to blame for recent increased pollution, and pollution will continue to increase with the rise of technology. For this reason, we should return to a simpler way of life where technology plays a minimal role
To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
Write at least 250 words.